5U modular / serge / buchla NZ

I have some 5U. Apart from one other person I know, I don’t think there’s much of an uptake of anything other than Eurorack in NZ.

Prove me wrong!

Chime in if you have anything “interesting”!

1 Like

I’m thinking about jumping into some Serge 4U. I’ve been collecting the Random*Source serge euro stuff, but it’s not quite as user friendly as bananas. Radek was rocking Serge and Buchla in Wellington, and I got to have a bit of a play on them, but he’s over in Europe now.

1 Like

Yeah 4U is the sweet spot for ergonomics I reckon. Not much of a community here but I do love the Serge paradigm and the modules are deep!

Just picked up a 3U Random Source res eq.

I’m keen to explore 4U but having 5U, 4U and 3U does seem a little excessive!

2 Likes

Resonant EQ is so very cool and useful. A version with CV over the bands would be awesome.

1 Like

Yeah, it’s a fun format, but not common around NZ. I’ve been building a CGS SWAMP Serge seq recently, although still yet to buy the panel. As I don’t know where I’m heading with it. Wouldn’t mind building some 4U tube oscillators, and a filter or two…

There truly is something wonderful about Serge and Buchla, that separates it from euro. More primitive and experimental…

-Bruno

1 Like

I’d love to get a serge system. Have looked at a few options, but love the full panels. Anyone know of a source for these thats still making them, rather than buying individual modules?

I remember the Serge Animal panel they did a decent while ago - almost went there - wish I had in retrospect

1 Like

If you’re after a Serge system and can do a bit of DIY. Then I highly suggest looking into Elby Design’s BoCGS system. Far cheaper than Random Source and Loudest Warning but still crazy cool. Slightly Nasty also have some stuff worth looking into. I love the tone of their discrete VCO. 73-75 is also another option, it’s the very first traditional Serge panel style.

-Bruno

2 Likes