AmbientNZ: A directory of New Zealand ambient music

My lockdown sourdough has been putting together this pretty rough and ready website. Now it’s up to >20 music makers, I thought I’d share it around. I’ve got a Google Sheet with like 60+ more names. :grimacing: I’ll get there.

If you want updates via social accounts, there’s buttons at the bottom of the home page and in the post just put under News.

I also like the Bandcamp playlist on the Playlist page! Just discovered that third-party website last week and was like happy with the timing!

7 Likes

Wow, great work!

bndcmpr.co is so cool!

I contacted bandcamp about an api to access my own tracks for personal playlisting - this is great because it’s open access to every track (I assume?)

Have you hit streaming limits?
e.g. time to buy - 3 stream limit etc…?

1 Like

Great idea, look forward to submissions opening up!

1 Like

Awesome work! Having a browse around the site now and already spotted a bunch of people I’d never heard of, amongst some familiar faces :sunglasses:

1 Like

No I saw something saying the BNDCMPR dev is avoiding that somehow and that they are in conversation with Bandcamp. So happy to be able to provide a playlist of tracks there. I don’t know how they’re doing it all without an API, but :100: points!

If you reckon you’re making ambient music and have something people can hear online, hit me up - you can message me here or whatever.

It’s just a personal labour of love, so, you know, judge’s ruling is final or whatever, but happy to hear from people of course.

Ambient tends to be pretty obscure by nature!

2 Likes

Hey thanks for putting that together @jet . Had to have a chuckle that you’ve got the Involve crew all in there :slight_smile:
Would it be worth setting up a Soundcloud account and repost items from NZ ambient artists?
It makes it a bit more ‘open’ to discovery

1 Like

Wow - genius!

1 Like

Haha my thinking was to get the stuff that’s closest to me out of the way first so that when I share updates it’s not all me me me. :smirk: Though I’m saving Signer because he’s still active under that alias and I want people to see his new stuff.

I’ll think about the SoundCloud idea - just no idea how much people use it still, or how many playlists I want to maintain. But a few people have said a playlist should be more up front, because it’s what they really want.

Soundcloud is my main platform for casual listening & discovery.

But Bandcamp is my main tangible support platform. It still has discovery potential if people click through from bndcmpr to the track on bandcamp.

So for that reason I don’t think Soundcloud would add much at this point.

• Although people do need to open the playlist directly to get the links

@jet Can you change the embed to include links?

1 Like

No the embed has no options at all except orientation (as in portrait v landscape).